Inmates ‘bare’ plot to kill CWG accused

first_imgTwo murder convicts lodged in Tihar Jail have made the sensational claim that jail officials provided them with weapons to kill two tainted former members of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) organising committee (OC) who are also in the jail.Amit and Nishant, two brothers who are serving a life term, told chief metropolitan magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav on Tuesday that they were given a knife and a country made revolver – a knife has been recovered from their barracks – to kill two of the three ex-CWG officials accused in the Queen’s Baton Relay scam now lodged in Tihar.While three former CWG officials T. S. Darbari, Sanjay Mahendroo and M. Jeychandran – who were aides of OC boss Suresh Kalmadi – are in jail, the convicts did not say which two were to be their targets.However, they told the court that they were being repeatedly pressured by the Tihar Jail authorities to carry out the killings or face dire consequences. The murder convicts told the CMM that Amit had been transferred from Jail No. 4 to the high-risk ward of Jail No. 5 and was being regularly threatened.A knife has been recovered from the jail premises based on the leads provided by the duo. About the pistol, Amit and Nishant told the court that it had been taken back by the jail officials.The recovery of the knife was put in the court’s records.”A knife was recovered from their barrack. Let a report from SHO (station house officer) Hari Nagar police station be called for December 24,” the CMM said while marking the case to the court concerned for the next hearing.advertisementThe lead-up to the shocking claim started on December 18. The two brothers had moved a request before a magistrate in Saket saying they wanted to disclose some important information against Tihar officials and could provide the court with the relevant evidence.The court immediately ordered the SHO of Hari Nagar to accompany the convicts to the jail from where the police recovered the knife. The case was then referred to the CMM Tis Hazari for further hearing. On Tuesday, the CMM directed the SHO to file a detailed status report on the case.The application moved before the CMM by the two brothers does not mention the possible motive behind the move to kill the former OC officials.Of the three officials, Darbari, who had been OC joint director general (revenue, marketing and chairman secretariat) and Mahendroo, who had been OC deputy director general of marketing were arrested on November 15 while Jeychandran, formerly OC treasurer, was arrested on November 21.All the accused are facing charges of causing losses to the state exchequer in the award of contracts to the tune of `1.55 crore with regard to the Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) in London in November last year ahead of the Delhi Commonwealth Games.The former officials are charged with causing wrongful losses in the award of contract to M/s AM Car and Van Hire Limited for various functions relating to the conduct of the QBR.However, the Tihar Jail authorities strongly denied the allegations levelled against them by the two murder convicts and instead blamed the brothers of being serial offenders. ” The complaint filed by the convicts was an attempt to take revenge on the jail officials who recently separated the two brothers by lodging them in two different jails,” said Sunil Gupta, law officer of the Tihar Jail.Coming out strongly in favour of the jail officials, Gupta claimed that Amit and Nishant were running a gang in Jail No. 4 along with an undertrial, whom he identified as Pawan. The authorities, on receiving numerous complaints against them from the inmates, lodged all the three accused in different jails.Hence, to settle scores with them, Amit and Nishant had moved the application before the CMM, the law officer said.According to Gupta, the weapon recovered from the jail premises at the instance of the duo was not a knife.”All inmates are frisked cautiously and it was not a knife that was recovered but a spoon that had been sharpened by the accused persons by rubbing it on the floor,” said Gupta.Meanwhile, the mother of the two convicts, Munni Devi also moved an application before the CMM alleging that the brothers were facing threats. She named some persons and jail officials in her application. The CMM, meanwhile, marked the case to additional chief metropolitan magistrate Sunil Chaudhary for further hearing on December 24.JAIL INTRIGUE AGAINST KALMADI AIDESadvertisementT. S. DARBARIARRESTED ON: November 15POST HELD: Joint director general (revenue, marketing and chairman secretariat)CHARGED WITH: Corruption, forgery, cheating & abuse of positionROLE IN SCAM: Awarded work at Queen’s Baton Relay to AM Car & Van Hire at exorbitant rates without following standard tender process & on false premise, the CBI said. Accused of forging emails to justify selectionSANJAY MAHENDROOARRESTED ON: November 15POST HELD: Deputy director general (marketing)CHARGED WITH: Corruption, forgery, cheating & abuse of positionROLE IN SCAM: Awarded work to London- based AM Car & Van Hire at exorbitant rates without following the standard tender process and on false premise. Also accused of forging emails to justify the selectionM. JEYCHANDRANARRESTED ON: November 21 POST HELD: TreasurerCHARGED WITH: Corruption, forgery, cheating & abuse of positionROLE IN SCAM: Mahendroo sent a fax to Jeychandran in India asking the amount due to the firm be released immediately. Mahendroo said it had been approved by OC chief Suresh Kalmadi. The CBI accused him of being part of the conspiracyACCUSEDBrothers Amit and Nishant Prasad, residents of Badarpur, have been in jail since the past three years. They have been sentenced to life imprisonment in a murder case. They claimed Tihar jail officials provided them a countrymade pistol and a knife to eliminate two of the three CWG officials in judicial custodyTHE LONDON SCAMIn October 2009, the baton relay for the Games was launched by Queen Elizabeth II in the presence of President Pratibha Patil. The OC organised the event. The CBI has accused Darbari & Mahendroo of entering into a dubious deal with AM Car & Van Hire Ltd. The work was awarded on the false premise that the firm was on the panel of Indian High Commission, London.This caused losses of  Rs 1.55 crore to the exchequerlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *