Alvarez-Golovkin 2 could be in the cards

first_imgSteam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Judge Don Trella had it 114-114 while Dave Moretti scored it 115-113 in favour of Golovkin.Golovkin got his first taste of Nevada-style judging in his Sin City boxing debut, but despite the kerfuffle he still managed to keep his World Boxing Council, World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation titles.Asked about Byrd’s lopsided scorecard, which had Golovkin winning just the fourth and seventh rounds, he replied, “unbelievable”.“Of course I want a rematch. This was a real fight,” Golovkin said.So the stage is set for a Golovkin-Alvarez 2, likely sometime in the first half of 2018.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up “I thought I won the fight,” Alvarez said. “I was superior inside the ring. I won at least seven, eight rounds. I was able to counterpunch and even make Gennady wobble a couple of times. “It is up to the people if we fight again. I felt frustrated over this draw.”Golovkin and Alvarez now look set to rule the resurgent middleweight division for years after their slugfest ended in a stalemate.READ: Golovkin and Alvarez deliver classic middleweight fightThe controversy came via the judges — one of whom scored the nail-biting fight 118-110 in favour of Alvarez. The evenly-matched fight was so close it could have gone either way. Challenger Alvarez fought well enough to win on his own but Adalaide Byrd’s mind-boggling scorecard fuelled conspiracy theories on social media.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I wanted to finish him off, but he was a stong opponent with lot of experience. It didn’t unfold the way I wanted it to,” Alvarez said.Former two-division champion Alvarez connected with a devastating punch series about 30 seconds into the round. A rubbery-legged Golovkin then went into a defensive shell, shook the cobwebs off, and managed to stay on his feet.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogIt was a rare moment of vulnerability for Golovkin who has never been knocked down in his pro career and, before that, in 350 amateur fights.Until his last two fights, which both went the distance, Golovkin had been jackhammering his way through the middleweight division. In March, he showed he could go the distance and win over Daniel Jacobs but their 12-round fight snapped a string of 23 consecutive knockouts for Golovkin.  It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson DAY6 is for everybody Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Gennady Golovkin (R) exchanges blows with Canelo Alvarez (L) during their WBC, WBA and IBF middleweight championship fight at the T-Mobile Arena on September 16, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.Gennady Golovkin retained his three world middleweight titles, fighting to a draw with Mexican star Canelo Alvarez in a showdown for middleweight supremacy that lived up the hype./ AFP PHOTO / John GURZINSKIA somber Canelo Alvarez was left wondering what more he could have done to wrest the middleweight world titles away from Gennady Golovkin after their controversial 12-round draw on Saturday in Las Vegas.The 27-year-old Mexican star said he executed his game plan the way he wanted to, but missed his big chance when he failed to knock the champion out in the 10th round.ADVERTISEMENT Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ Kerber exorcises New York demons in Tokyo How to help the Taal evacuees In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide View commentslast_img read more

Rivals Petron, Foton face off; Cocolife tries to stretch upset run vs F2

first_imgPetron had already netted American smasher Lindsay Stalzer, who helped steer Foton to the Grand Prix title last year.“There’s no truth to it, no plans for it,” Chua told the Inquirer. “The league might get upset with me.”Before the denial, there were reports that Petron was also reportedly eyeing F2 Logistics vital cogs Kim Fajardo and Dawn Macandili for next season.“We just got [our] buildup completed, that’s why we won a championship right away,” said Chua, referring to the team’s All-Filipino Cup triumph this season.Petron and Foton could have hogged the spotlight in the knockout semifinals that kick off at 4 p.m., but Cocolife managed to steal some of the thunder with a huge quarterfinal upset over heavily-favored Cignal, 25-23, 25-23, 25-20, late Thursday.ADVERTISEMENT Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Thompson hopes to build legacy in Ginebra LATEST STORIES Saturday’s winners advance to the best-of-three championship series while the losers slug it out for third place.And the oft-overlooked Asset Managers, armed with a low-key squad and a solid coaching staff led by Kungfu Reyes, will attempt to trigger a major tectonic shift against the F2 Logistics Cargo Movers, who won their first six matches here.“Making it to the semifinals is a big achievement to our team,” said Reyes. “But we will not settle for fourth place.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Under the glare of a roster-raiding controversy and in the shadow of a major tournament upset, Petron and Foton take their budding rivalry to the next stage as they slug it out in the knockout semifinals of the Philippine Superliga Grand Prix Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena.Foton coach Moro Branislav said Petron brings out the best in his team, having dealt its only loss in the eliminations (25-21, 25-22, 12-25, 25-20).ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? “Foton likes playing contra Petron,” said the Serbian mentor. “It’s going to be an interesting match.”The feeling, it turns out, is mutual.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBrian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defensePetron coach Shaq Delos Santos echoed Branislav’s sentiments, citing the “little rivalry” between the squads—a rivalry heightened because of the issue of roster pirating.But that has been quelled for now as San Miguel sports chief Alfrancis Chua denied reports that Petron is looking to dip its fingers into other teams’ rosters, telling the Inquirer that the Blaze Boosters have no plans of acquiring the Tornadoes’ Sara Klisura for the next Grand Prix. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funnylast_img read more

Lawrence Ho boosts Melco Resorts holding

first_img Wynn Resorts shares favored over Wynn Macau: analysts Load More Evan Winkler appointed President as Melco Resorts implements latest management overhaul In addition, Ho personally holds 8,434,073 Ordinary Shares and options vested or vesting within 60 days to purchase another 3,258,936 Ordinary Shares, together representing 0.8% of Melco’s Ordinary Shares.Under Melco Resorts’ previously declared ownership structure, the 42-year-old had held 51.3% of the company including 4,122,944 personally-owned Ordinary Shares, plus rights to purchase another 0.7%.Ho’s combined interest in Melco Resorts now sees him either fully or partially control a total of 768,922,052 shares of which Melco International and Melco Leisure hold some voting power over 757,229,043.According to information provided in the filing, his 54.05% holding in Melco International includes 2.76% held personally, 31.32% held by companies he or trusts affiliated with him control and 19.97% controlled by a discretionary family trust, the beneficiaries of which include Ho and his immediate family members.“Consequently, Mr Ho may be deemed to beneficially own an aggregate of 829,115,396 ordinary shares of Melco International, representing approximately 54.05% of Melco International’s ordinary shares outstanding,” the filing said.In April, Melco Resorts granted Ho American depository shares to the value of US$5.1 million “to recognize Mr Ho’s contribution to the success and development of the Melco Resorts group and to incentivize and motivate him to continue to strive for the future development of the Melco Resorts group and its business.”Those shares will be issued in two batches on 29 March 2020 and 29 March 2021, further increasing his personal stake in the company. Melco Resorts and Entertainment Chairman and CEO Lawrence Ho has boosted his holding in the company by more than 3% to 54.6% following a repurchase of ordinary shares recently approved by the board.In an SEC filing overnight, Melco revealed that Ho, together with majority shareholder Melco International Development – of which he owns 54.05% – and Melco International subsidiary Melco Leisure and Entertainment, had increased their stake to 53.8% following the share repurchase. RelatedPosts Melco International Development grants Evan Winkler HK$269 million share optionslast_img read more