Buyers snap up property at Lucy Cole Prestige Properties auction event

first_imgPrincipal Lucy Cole said she believed the 2017 outlook for the Gold Coast property market was positive. Picture Mike BatterhamLUCY Cole Prestige Properties took a list of 15 properties to auction at the agency’s sixth annual alfresco auction on the weekend.Principal Lucy Cole said about 150 people including 40 registered bidders turned up to the event last Saturday where the team sold about $8 million worth of real estate.The agency sold six properties under the hammer including two above the $1 million mark.“There was a lot of spirited bidding on the day which was great to see,” Ms Cole said.“Two of the sales were above reserve which was also promising to see. We had another three that sold prior to auction and we have another four under negotiation now.” Auctioneer Scott Harman in action. Picture Mike BatterhamMore from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North11 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day agoMs Cole said there were a range of buyers including international, interstate and local.Among the sales was an apartment in The Waterford building at Main beach. The three-bedroom apartment, which has 360-degree views of the Coast, fetched $1.85 million under the hammer. The crowd wait for the hammer to fall. Picture Mike Batterham A crowd of about 150 took part in the auction event. Picture Mike Batterham Auctioneer Scott Harman engages with the crowd. Picture Mike BatterhamA four-bedroom waterfront house at 11 Riverbank Court, Ashmore, also sold for $1.4 million.Ms Cole said she believed the 2017 outlook for the Gold Coast property market was positive.“I think it’s looking very healthy — there’s a buzz in the air and it’s very exciting.“Buyers want to be involved in our marketplace.“They can see that we’re moving forward.”last_img read more

Scott Longley – William Hill chief: ‘Drop TV ads’

first_imgShare StumbleUpon Submit Share Philip Bowcock, chief executive at William Hill, suggests that his company has the brand presence to withstand the loss of TV advertising, writes Scott Longley._________________________Philip Bowcock, chief executive of William Hill, said he personally would like to see the gambling industry reined in when it comes to TV advertising and suggested his company would benefit from the general lack of available airtime due to its existing brand recognition.Bowcock was speaking after the company released its well-received half-year results which showed the online business managing a partial turnaround led by a 10 percent rise in gaming revenues while the UK retail results were solid despite the comparator period from last year which included the Euros.The results came on the same day as The Times newspaper launched another attack on the industry which broadened out on previous attacks regarding FOBTs to point to perceived government failures with regard to online stakes and ads for gambling on TV.Bowcock said the industry needed to “get back to being on the front foot” in defending its right to do business but suggested it should be prepared to cede ground on advertising. “My personal view is that there is too much gambling advertising on TV,” he said. “But from a business perspective, we think we already have the brand recognition. It is an additional barrier to entry.”He added that he felt the sector was working towards solutions with regard to concerns over the numbers of people that are resorting to self-exclusion in the UK. Pointing to the soon to be fully-introduced national self-exclusion scheme, he added that the sector now “has the algorithms, we can see the markers of harm.”Presenting the results to analysts, Bowcock said the UK high-street sector was awaiting the recommendations of the government’s triennial review but he made the point that whatever was said about staking levels for FOBTs, the industry would likely have a year to get to grips with the situation ahead of full implementation.“There will be a 12-week consultation period after the announcement which we expect in October and then a six to nine-month implementation period,” he said. “In effect, it is a year away so we will have time to get organised.”Should the review come up with a £2 stake limit for B3 machines in betting shops, it would crater William Hill’s retail profit. Paul Leyland, partner at gambling consultancy Regulus Partners, pointed out that depending on substitution levels across the machine types, it could more than wipe our retail profit and substantially hurt total group profit where retail represents 82 percent of the total.Leyland added, though, that the company is “no longer in an operational tailspin”, a fact recognised by investors who helped push the share price up 8 percent on the day. Bowcock said the company was being rewarded for “doing what we said we’d do.”The self-help saw the online net revenues rise 5 percent to £290m helped by a 10 percent rise in gaming revenues. Sportsbook was down 1 percent due largely to a four basis points fall in gross margin to 6.9 percent. Stripping out last year’s Euros, the sportsbook amounts wagered was up 15 percent while active players rose 7 percent.In retail, net revenue was down 2 percent with OTC revenue down 7 percent and gaming up 3 percent. Bowcock admitted that when it came to the introduction of self-service betting terminals (SSBTs) William Hill was slightly off the pace in terms of numbers but he said the proprietary terminals it was installing were better than the competition in terms of product.The company is also introducing a new ‘Plus’ loyalty card for SSBT customers which it said that 80,000 customers have signed up to but he admitted the company “didn’t have an awful lot of omni-channel customers.”In terms of international operations, Bowcock said the Australian business had been concentrating on improving the product ahead potential regulatory change. The government is set to introduce a ban on credit betting and it is also considering following the lead of South Australia and introducing a point of consumption tax regime.A brighter regulatory situation exists in the US where William Hill has hopes that the Supreme Court decision on sports-betting in New Jersey could open up the wider US market.Analysts welcomed the signs of a reversal of fortunes. Simon Davies at Canaccord Genuity said it was a “reassuring performance”, adding that the “key positive” was the online revival. Ivor Jones at Peel Hunt added that the overall results – which saw pre-tax profit fall 7 percent to £93.5m – “made a step backwards appear like a step forwards.”“Today’s interims seem like progress; wagering was in growth across the business, which appears to have gained market share in the UK,” Jones added. Related Articles Winning Post: Third time’s the charm for England’s casinos August 17, 2020 Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020last_img read more

Nuggets extend team president Tim Connelly’s contract

first_imgDenver is 224-243 in his tenure.Connelly has also spent time with both the Hornets and Wizards franchises.The team also extended general manager Arturas Karnisovas’ contract Friday. Connelly has been running the Nuggets since 2013. Denver has not made the playoffs since he took over, but it is 39-18 this season and in second place in the Western Conference.Denver also knew it was going to go through a rebuild when it brought in Connelly. Related News Under Connelly, the Nuggets have drafted Nikola Jokic (2014), Jamal Murray, Malik Beasley (2016) and Donovan Mitchell (2017). NBA All-Star 2019: Team LeBron vs. Team Giannis by the numberscenter_img The Nuggets are extending Tim Connelly’s contract, the team announced Friday.Denver’s president of basketball operations’ current deal was up after the season, but the team wanted to lock him up for the foreseeable future. NBA All-Star 2019: Deandre Ayton ready for Rising Stars Challengelast_img read more

Doctor lives in his kid’s treehouse during coronavirus pandemic

first_imgA doctor in Corups Christi, Texas is sacrificing his home for the moment as he works in the emergency room at CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic.Dr. Jason Barnes is quarantining himself by staying in the family’s treehouse located in the backyard.Dr. Barnes has treated patients positive with the virus and he says “ya know, trying to think about bringing that home, it’s scary for us.”Now, he turned his children’s treehouse into his new temporary home. It is equipped with a bed, water, and food. It even has a bathroom and air conditioning.Barnes said he has everything but his family’s hugs but it is worth it.“Quarantine is serious,” “But it’s the only way we’re going to beat this thing.”last_img

Black figure skating duo first in Olympic history

first_imgMAKING HISTORY—France’s Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur perform their pairs free program during the figure skating competition at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Feb. 15. They are the first Black pairs skating team to compete in the Olympic Games. (NNPA)—Many viewers in the African-American community took an interest in the Winter Olympics to follow Black speed skater Shani Davis. But they had another reason to tune into the Winter Games this year. French pairs skaters Yannick Bonheur and Vanessa James made history on Feb. 21 when they became the first Black duo to participate in Olympic figure skating competition. The pair teamed up two years ago after Bonheur split up with his former skating partner, Marylin Pla. The 27-year-old athlete then placed an advertisement online for a replacement. According to the Canadian-born James, her aunt saw it and convinced her 22-year-old niece to team up with Bonheur.“It’s destiny and I’m very happy about it,” Bonheur told reporters. “There’s the grace and beauty of Vanessa and then my athleticism. And the fact that we’re both Black brings a pleasing visual harmony.”The pair traveled to the United States in August 2009 to train with famous Russian coach Sergei Zaitsev in Indianapolis. They earned their way to the Olympics by winning the French nationals, and now they’re ready to leave their mark on international history.“This is just the beginning. We want to make a name for ourselves so that they’ll remember us for next season,” Bonhuer told reporters. “We want to climb the ladder to show that Black skaters can stand on the podium.”last_img read more