Letters to the Editor for Friday, July 12

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionCan’t take four more years of amoral TrumpPeople with honor and dignity cannot stand working for President Trump very long.Now we have temporary, unconfirmed, acting heads of customs and border protection, acting homeland secretaries, acting heads of citizenship and immigration, acting defense secretary, and vacancies throughout the government.President Trump prefers acting people because they are compliant.One result is the terrible maltreatment of children on the U.S. southern border.We once were horrified to see Syrian parents and babies washing up to be virtual prisoners on the shores of Greece or arriving to find guns and barbed wire pointing at them in Hungary. Now, here in the United States, it’s little and non-nutritious food, little or no drinking water, no bathing, no sleeping, no parents, no asylum hearings, no love, all punishment for children in our care. Are we no better than Greece or Hungary?If we tolerate our amoral, shameless president for four more years, it will get worse. Take back our honor. Save the children. Close the camps.Help the world. Vote in 2020.David GibsonBallston LakeWhy should we all have to pay again?Why do we have to pay again?Montgomery County broke a contract for garbage disposal with Fulton County. I ask Matt Ossenfort, who is responsible. He is Montgomery county executive, just as Ann Thane was responsible for the city of Amsterdam.Who should take the blame for the $5 million in debt when she left?Who takes the blame that obviously we broke the contract by taking in garbage at a higher price than we were paying Fulton County?Who is responsible for the $450,000 that we must pay Fulton County? Was it the country executive, legislatures or some other employee?Who is responsible for the  $450,000 that we have to pay? This county has to smarten up. Ann Thane and her cohort Gerry DeCusatis should be liable for some of the city debt, just as Matt Ossenfort should be liable for the garbage fiasco — especially since now we have to pay more again for disposal. Ann Thane and Gerry DeCusatis both have nice, rewarded jobs with the state (paying $97,000 and $86,000 annually by state records). Maybe they should have their wages garnished to pay back the $5 million deficit, neve rmind blaming dead people and others. The county and city are on a bad path.Take off the rose-colored glasses. You might think things are getting better, but ride around and look.Enough is enough.Sandy “Rogo” RoginskiAmsterdamOnly help immigrants who are here legallyBravo. David DeMarco was absolutely right about coming into our country legally in his July 7 letter, (“Want rights? Enter the country legally”).I think we should help all immigrants who come legally, but I don’t think we should help those who come illegally.They broke our laws to get here and should not take away from those who are here legally or were born here.We have too many poor people who need our help and should get it. I also agree that only those who are legally here should get driver’s licenses.Carol VaccaSharon SpringsMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristslast_img read more

Bale asks for Madrid move – report

first_img However reports in Spain have claimed Bale is eager to move to Madrid, with sports newspaper Marca even reporting dialogue from a conversation they claim he had with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy. According to Marca, Bale told Levy he wanted Spurs to negotiate a deal and said: “I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other team. I just want to play for Madrid.” Reports in Spain earlier this week also suggested the player has already agreed terms on a six-year deal. Whatever Bale did or did not say to Levy, Villas-Boas is optimistic the 24-year-old, who is currently contracted until 2016, will extend his stay at White Hart Lane. The Portuguese said on Friday: “There was contact between the club and his agent last year and there is ongoing contact between the club and his agent. “We renewed his contract at the beginning of last season, if you remember, and it’s something that is being dealt with by the chairman and the agent. “Talks are ongoing but that doesn’t mean there is an agreement. At the moment we’re confident that the player is under contract at Tottenham, as was done last year. It’s something that we’re speaking about, but there aren’t any developments.” Villas-Boas also reiterated his liking of Valencia striker Roberto Soldado despite Spurs’ director of football Franco Baldini failing to agree a fee with the Primera Division club on a recent visit to Spain. One player who seems certain to start the season in a Tottenham shirt is Belgian winger Nacer Chadli who formally joined from FC Twente on Friday and could feature in their pre-season friendly against Monaco on August 3. Chadli’s move to White Hart Lane, for a reported £7million, was confirmed by Spurs after the 23-year-old agreed personal terms and passed a medical. He has been training with Tottenham on their tour of Asia. Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas had hoped the Welsh winger would be fit to face South China FC in the Barclays Asia Trophy match in Hong Kong, however he continues to be troubled by a knock sustained in training. Villas-Boas has revealed there are ongoing talks with Bale’s agent regarding a new contract at White Hart Lane. Gareth Bale will sit out the latest Tottenham pre-season friendly due to injury on Saturday as he continues to be linked with Spanish giants Real Madrid.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more