This home at 89 Pring St, Hendra, is for sale. Picture: realestate.com.au.Mr Cavill’s lowset home is in a quiet, private neighbourhood on a large, 604 sqm block with landscaped gardens.The property is walking distance to Aviation High and Our Lady Help of Christians School and a short drive to other esteemed private schools. Greg and Jenny Cavill outside the Breakfast Creek Hotel.THE Brisbane home of former Breakfast Creek Hotel publican and sailing stalwart, the late Greg Cavill, is on the market.The member of one of Queensland’s leading hotel families, the Cavill family, recently passed away and his daughter, Jenny, is handling the sale of his Hendra home.The four-bedroom, two-bathroom house at 89 Pring Street — arguably Hendra’s finest street — is advertised for sale by offers through Leigh Kortlang and Jon Finney of Ray White AscotRecords show it was last bought for $540,000 in September 2001. GET THE LATEST REAL ESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX HERE More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus21 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market21 hours agoThe back courtyard at the home at 89 Pring St, Hendra. Picture: realestate.com.au.The Cavill family took up the lease on Brisbane’s famous waterhole in 1926 and held it for 72 years. But while he was well known for his days at the helm of the Breakfast Creek Hotel, Mr Cavill was also the oldest surviving Commodore of Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron. MORE HOMES FOR SALE IN BRISBANE GIDDY UP FOR AUCTION LUXURY IN THE BUSH Veteran yachtsmen (L-R) Greg Cavill, Bill Warlow, Dennis Burchill, Bill Pryke and Colonel Johnson. Picture: David Kapernick.He was also the official starter for the 66th QantasLink Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race in 2014.He contested the race from 1950-1998 on five different yachts and was among the winning crew aboard the Norman Wright skippered Flying Saucer, which took line honours in 1955 in a race record of 41 hours 19 minutes and 4 seconds. This home at 89 Pring St, Hendra, is for sale. Picture: realestate.com.au. Inside the home at 89 Pring St, Hendra. Picture: realestate.com.au.
The Chicago Marathon has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.The race was scheduled for Oct. 11. Organizers say registered participants are eligible for a refund or can defer their place and entry fee to the Chicago Marathon in 2021, 2022 or 2023.“Hope drives us as runners and as humans,” Carey Pinkowski, the executive race director of the Chicago Marathon, said in a release. “My hope was to see everyone on the start line on Sunday, October 11, but our highest priority has always been the safety of our participants and our volunteers.”Organizers say they are working on plans for a virtual experience “to recognize the dedication and commitment of everyone who would have taken part in the 43rd running” of the marathon.___ Los Angeles Angels left-hander Patrick Sandoval is back with the team after contracting coronavirus last month.Sandoval disclosed his positive test Monday from the Angels’ summer camp, calling the virus “unlike anything I’d ever felt before.” He says he tested positive on June 22.Sandoval thinks he caught it while golfing with a friend,because he had been careful about being out in public for several weeks beforehand. He said he endured three days of body aches, chills and fever before his symptoms lessened. He rejoined the Angels last week.Sandoval went 5-3 with a 3.66 ERA last season as a rookie with the Angels, making three starts. He is among several candidates for a spot in the back end of the Halos’ rotation.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Kentucky says three of 42 student-athletes initially screened from men’s basketball, volleyball and women’s soccer tested positive for past coronavirus infection through antibody testing. July 13, 2020 The Division I conference says it has still not determined whether winter and spring sports competition will be held and that it will consider holding fall sports in the second semester. The Ivy League made a similar announcement last week. The Patriot League is the first conference in the Football Championship Subdivision that competes in the Football Bowl Subdivision’s playoffs to suspend its season.Army and Navy compete in the Patriot League in many sports, including basketball, but not in football. The Patriot League said Army and Navy are exempt from the fall sports cancellation, which also includes women’s soccer and volleyball.Athletes will be permitted to practice and train with coaches and in team facilities “provided health and safety conditions support such activities,” the conference said.___Swiss soccer club Zurich says it will field an under-21 team to try to save the season from being canceled because the first-team is isolating at home. Chicago Cubs manager David Ross is skipping the team’s Monday morning workout because he is awaiting his completed result from his Saturday coronavirus test.The team says five other Tier 1 individuals also missed the workout for the same reason. Tier 1, according to baseball’s 2020 operations manual, includes players and other on-field personnel.“Out of an abundance of caution, we think it makes sense for the six of us to wait for clarity,” Ross said in a release. “Situations like this have not been a worrisome indicator of a positive test result to date.”The Cubs say there should be “further clarity” later in the day.___ The Latest: Kentucky says tests showed 3 athletes had virus The Atlantic Coast Conference has postponed its virtual Football Kickoff media event.The league says the event to preview each teams’ prospects heading into fall training camp is delayed until further notice. The three-day event was originally scheduled to be held beginning July 21.The ACC says future decisions and announcements will take place “at the appropriate time.”___The Patriot League has joined the Ivy League in canceling fall sports, including football, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Zurich’s game on Saturday was postponed because multiple players and staff tested positive for the coronavirus.The club says it will play Tuesday against third-place Basel by selecting young players from its backup roster.Zurich also has to play title contender Young Boys and St. Gallen and says it wanted to avoid the league being annulled.The 10 teams are already playing in midweek and on weekends to finish the season on Aug. 2 and meet a UEFA deadline for European competition entries. It is unclear when Zurich can play a re-scheduled game against Sion.Zurich is in sixth place but in contention to earn a Europa League entry by finishing fourth. Associated Press ___One person has tested positive in the latest round of checks for COVID-19 on players and club staff in the English Premier League.The league says a total of 2,071 people were tested last week.The person has not been identified. ___ The school did not specify in a release which programs the positives came from. Those that tested positive were required to quarantine.Men’s soccer players returned to campus last week and are undergoing initial screening before starting voluntary workouts.The release added that Kentucky has implemented proactive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) diagnostic testing in response to evolving circumstances. Changing workouts have made social distancing and personal protective equipment more difficult to implement, the release said, forcing the change to also align with the campus plan released last month. Forty-one student athletes and 21 staffers from those three programs participated in PCR testing. One student-athlete provided documentation of self-testing.All 108 football players currently working out and 58 staff members participated in PCR testing last week with zero positives. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The NHL says 43 players tested positive for the coronavirus from June 8 through the end of the league’s optional workouts.That number announced Monday includes 30 who tested positive at team facilities and 13 the league is aware of who tested positive outside the league’s protocols for its Phase 2.The NHL opened Phase 3 Monday with the start of training camps for the 24-team playoffs, scheduled to open in two hub Canadian cities — Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta — on Aug. 1. Players had until Monday evening to elect to opt out of competition without penalty.All players who tested positive self-isolated. The NHL is not sharing names of the players who test positive or the teams involved.___
A number of students who demonstrated in Margibi County, vandalized properties and blocked major highways trying to claim government’s attention—all in an effort to see their teachers back in the classrooms—have definitely missed the mark.This is because their action has caused President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf to order those teachers who had protested, dismissed, while she promised to deal with students who were part of the demonstrations.An outraged President Sirleaf upon her arrival from the United States at the Roberts International Airport (RIA) in Margibi County yesterday, called on the Ministry of Education (MOE) to close with immediate effect, those schools that carried out the strike actions. She also said that if teachers of those schools were involved, they should be dismissed as well. On Tuesday, protesting students in Unification Town (Smell-No-Taste) near RIA blocked the airport-Monrovia highway demanding the return of their teachers to class.This was preceded by another strike action on Monday, when normal commercial activities and the free-flow of traffic were brought to a standstill in Kakata, Margibi County’s political capital. Those students took to the streets in solidarity with the leadership of the National Teachers Association of Liberia (NTAL) demanding the resignations of Minister Werner and MCSS Superintendent Jacobs.The students’ actions, however, turned violent, resulting in ransacking of several public buildings in Kakata. Also, they reportedly vandalized government facilities, including the 13th Judicial Circuit Court, offices of the National Elections Commission, the county’s Service Center and part of the fence that surrounds the Ministry of Education (MOE) facilities in Kakata. As to the fate of the striking students, President Sirleaf said the students’ actions have caused a lot of loses to the government, private citizens, companies and organizations, especially airlines and as such, the students would have to bear the consequences of their actions. “I’m going to instruct the Ministry of Education to close those schools immediately. We are going to ask for those students who were involved in the protest and deal with them,” she declared, adding, “And if there were teachers involved, they too will be dismissed until we see them handle themselves as leaders in the classrooms.”The President indicated that her government will begin a program of discipline in the country, noting, “I heard the news of the students’ strike action while I was in Ghana on Wednesday.”“It was brought to my attention that on Tuesday students blocked the RIA road, our major highway. As a result of that, many people came to their flights by changing from cars to riding on motorbikes, carrying their luggage in their hands and on their heads. Some of them also ended up missing their flights,” she said.The President was concerned because most of the airlines left RIA without taking their required passengers which was a loss to them. Some of the schools to be affected by the President’s pronouncement are the Lango Lappaye High School, E. J. Yancy, the Kakata Rural Teacher Training Institute (KRTTI) Demonstration School, all in Kakata, and the Harbel Multilateral R. S. Caulfield High School in Harbel and Smell-No-Taste.Although the President’s decision could be referred to as generic because not all of the students in those schools went out to protest, all of them will now bear the same consequences. The Liberia National Police attempted to calm the rising tension when the newly appointed Inspector General, Gregory Coleman, began discussions among the MOE, NTAL and the MCSS Teachers Association to end the hostilities, but the President’s pronouncement might have scuttled those talks.Coleman, during his intervention, said the sporadic blocking of major highways in the country, including the Monrovia-Kakata highway and the RIA-Monrovia highway by protesting students was worrisome.Coleman encouraged the belligerent parties to find ways to get the students to return to their classrooms as soon as possible.He said finding a quick and amicable solution to the standoff was important for the country’s peace and security, and also for the benefit of the innocent students who are victims of the unfortunate situation.Some local radio stations, including the Liberia Broadcasting System, have reported that other than Margibi, some public school students and teachers in Lofa, Gbarpolu, River Cess, and other counties also joined in the demonstrations to demand Werner’s resignation.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)