President Trump is planning to form a so-called leadership political action committee, a federal fund-raising vehicle that will potentially let him retain his hold on the Republican Party even when he is out of office, officials said on Monday.The announcement is expected as soon as this week, just days after the major news networks and newspapers, as well as The Associated Press, called the 2020 election for former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.- Advertisement – Such committees can accept donations of up to $5,000 per donor per year — far less than the donation limits for the committees formed by Mr. Trump’s campaign and the Republican National Committee — but a leadership PAC could accept donations from an unlimited number of people. It could also accept donations from other political action committees.A leadership PAC could spend an unlimited amount in so-called independent expenditures to benefit other candidates, as well as fund travel, polling and consultants. Mostly, it would almost certainly be a vehicle by which Mr. Trump could retain influence in a party that has been remade largely in his image over the past four years. – Advertisement – “The president always planned to do this, win or lose,” Mr. Murtaugh said, “so he can support candidates and issues he cares about, such as combating voter fraud.”Still, a PAC could give the president an off-ramp after a bruising election fight, as well as keep him as a dominant figure as the next Republican presidential primary races are beginning for a new standard-bearer.“President Trump is not going anywhere anytime soon,” said Matt Gorman, a Republican strategist. “He’s going to insert himself in the national debate in a way that’s unlike any of his predecessors.”- Advertisement – But Mr. Trump’s personal brand as a businessman is now intertwined with his political brand. And he has made clear he is not ceding the stage easily, even as advisers say he will most likely willingly leave the White House when his term ends.Since the 2020 race was called on Saturday, Mr. Trump has told advisers he is seriously considering running again in 2024 if the vote is certified for Mr. Biden, a development earlier reported by Axios.While the leadership PAC could not help him in such an effort, it could provide an interim vehicle that would let him travel and engage in some political activity, even if he never actually runs again.Kenneth P. Vogel contributed reporting. Before the election, Mr. Trump told advisers, sometimes joking and other times not, that he might run again in 2024 if he lost to Mr. Biden.Even as Mr. Biden has gathered more than the 270 Electoral College votes needed to win, and as he has taken leads of tens of thousands of votes in several battleground states, Mr. Trump has maintained there was voter fraud on a wide scale, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He has directed his campaign to march forward with legal challenges in states like Arizona and Nevada, despite most advisers believing that the race is over and that he should move on. A Trump campaign spokesman, Tim Murtaugh, said the committee had been in the works for a while.- Advertisement –
But research found that when pregnant women took the drug, their children had an elevated risk — between 10 to 40 percent — of congenital malformations, autism and learning difficulties.Sanofi is facing separate charges of aggravated fraud and unintentionally causing injury in 42 cases filed by families, but insists it had warned health authorities of the drug’s risks already in the 1980s.On Monday, the company confirmed a report in Le Monde newspaper that prosecutors have now also charged it with manslaughter.But in a statement sent to AFP it insisted it had “fulfilled its obligation” of providing information on the drug and its side-effects, and said it “contests the validity of these proceedings.” French prosecutors have indicted pharma giant Sanofi for manslaughter over birth defects linked to an epilepsy drug, the company said Monday, in a long-running case that has also seen it charged with fraud.The charges relate to the drug valproate, marketed as Depakine among other trade names, which studies say has caused disabilities in about 15,000-30,000 children whose mothers took the medicine while pregnant.On the market since 1967, the drug is used to treat epilepsy, migraines and bipolar disorder. Sanofi said it has filed a legal challenge to the indictment.Under the French legal system, charges do not automatically result in a trial as prosecutors can decide not to proceed based on a lack of evidence.Last month, a French court ordered the state to pay thousands of euros in damages over the scandal, saying officials should have ensured the drug was not taken by pregnant women.The court found that health officials knew about the risk of birth defects from Depakine already in 1983, and of learning disabilities and autism from 2004.Another 500 complaints have been lodged with France’s national compensation agency for medical accidents, which has already proposed a 6.5-million-euro ($7.6-million) package for Depakine victims.Sanofi, a France-based multinational, is working on a candidate vaccine against the novel coronavirus with Britain’s GSK, for which it will receive up to $2.1 billion from the US government. Topics :
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter By: John Wetzel, Secretary of Corrections BLOG: Reducing Crime and Investing in Re-Entry and Mental Health Treatment January 29, 2016 Read more agency year in review blog posts.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf Criminal Justice Reform, Efficiency, Government That Works, Human Services, Prison Reform, The Blog, Year in Review In 2015, the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections completed several initiatives in keeping with Governor Wolf’s promise of Government that Works.These accomplishments demonstrate the department’s commitment to its mission: to reduce criminal behavior by providing individualized treatment and education to offenders, resulting in successful community reintegration through accountability and positive change.Reducing PopulationGovernor Wolf and I announced in early 2016 that Pennsylvania’s state inmate population decreased by nearly 850 inmates in 2015, which represents the greatest one-year decline in population over the last 40 years. This announcement is the capstone to a year of accomplishment for the system under Governor Wolf’s leadership. DOC has made smart population and recidivism reduction as well as creating efficiencies to save taxpayer dollars even greater priorities.Reducing CrimeIn 2015, Governor Wolf supported Department of Corrections officials in their continued work to reduce recidivism. Through the use of performance-based contracts that hold vendors accountable for the programs they provide, the DOC announced an overall recidivism reduction of 11.3 percent in the community corrections system. These results are the second consecutive period of reduction.In addition to community corrections recidivism reduction, the DOC in 2015 also announced exciting statistics that show a degrees in the six-month, one-year and three-year recidivism rates. The latest three-year and six-month rates are the lowest ever recorded, and the one-year rate is by far the largest drop from the previous year (a total drop of 5.3 percentage points).Reducing Re-entry BarriersIn 2015, Governor Wolf gave the support necessary for Department of Corrections officials to expand their work in the area of Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). The goal is to help them eliminate the craving for heroin, which will help them to have one less barrier as they try to return to society as crime-free individuals. Individuals who don’t crave drugs, don’t use drugs or need to commit crimes to support their additions. This results in safer communities.Improving Mental Health ServicesIn 2015, the DOC settled a lawsuit with the Disability Rights Network of Pennsylvania, while it continued to improve and enhance services provided to mentally ill offenders.Also, in 2015, every DOC employee was trained in Mental Health First Aid; the DOC established an Office of Mental Health Advocate; and a number of new diversionary housing units were established to ensure mentally ill offenders are not placed in restricted housing units. Work continues in this area continually improving the DOC’s mental health.
Arsenal have signed midfielder Mohamed Elneny from Basle. As well as having played in England, Elneny will be no stranger to Premier League clubs. While at Basle he faced Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea in European competition during the last three years. Elneny particularly shone in a 2-2 Europa League draw with Spurs in 2013, a quarter-final tie which the Swiss outfit won on penalties. 6 Egyptian introduction Having been deemed not good enough for El Ahly, where he had played at several youth levels, Elneny’s introduction to Egyptian league football came when he joined Cairo-based side Arab Contractors – known locally as El Mokawloon. 7 Title pedigree Despite being only 23, Elneny would bring more championship-winning experience to the Arsenal squad having lifted three successive Swiss Super League titles at Basle. Here, Press Association Sport’s Mark Bryans looks at seven things you may not know about the Egypt international. 1 Full name While it is unlikely you would get it printed on your replica shirt, Elneny’s full name is Mohamed Naser Elsayed Elneny. 2 Shirt number And, talking of shirts, he will not be able to retain the number 33 jersey he sported for Basle as that is the squad number of goalkeeper Petr Cech at the Emirates Stadium. 3 International debut Elneny’s first international goal for Egypt came on English soil at Leyton Orient’s Matchroom Stadium – opening the scoring in the 2-2 friendly draw with Jamaica in June 2014. 4 Olympic star The 23-year-old had already experienced football in the capital, having played in all four of Egypt’s matches at the London 2012 Olympic Games as Hany Ramzy’s side reached the quarter-finals before losing 3-0 to Japan. 5 English opposition Press Association